Audioquest Dragonfly Black Review: Tiny Size, Big Sound improvement
The first thing you’ll notice about this headphone amplifier is that it looks really nice. Its size is pretty compact and its classy style makes it a very attractive option. And because of this design, Audioquest Dragonfly Black is very easy to use. Thanks to the fact that it’s small and lightweight, the amplifier is also easily portable.
Of course, looks isn’t everything – what’s inside is what really matters. If you’re shopping for a headphone amplifier, you want it to be able to get the most out of your cans. So, can Audioquest Dragonfly Black actually do it? Take a look at its features to find out!
Features of Audioquest Dragonfly Black
- 2 volt output – Audioquest Dragonfly Black is designed for headphones that aren’t too difficult to drive, therefore its output is 1.2 volts.
- MP3-compatible – This amplifier works with MP3s, but also with high-res files up to 24 Bits/96 kHz.
- USB port & 3.5mm jack– Audioquest Dragonfly Black looks like a USB memory stick. There’s a USB port on one end and a 3.5 mm jack on the other, where you’re supposed to plug in your headphones.
- Smartphone-compatible – The fact that there’s a USB port on one end of the simplifier means that you can use it to play music from a computer. But, if you use a smartphone adapter, you will be able to enhance the music coming from Android or iOS devices as well.
- LED notification light – There’s a built-in LED light that changes its color according to the sample rate of the processed music file. Green color indicated the file is MP3 or a CD-quality file of up to 44.1 kHz; magenta color goes for high-quality files of up to 96 kHz, while the LED light will shine red when on standby.
Pros & Cons
- Compact size – Thanks to its pretty small size and a beautiful design, Audioquest Dragonfly Black is a joy to carry around.
- Reasonable price – You can find Audioquest Dragonfly Black for less than one hundred bucks on Amazon.
- Moderate performances – This headphone amplifier can’t provide you with top-class performances, but for regular users who want to enhance the sound coming from a smartphone, it will do the job.
Alternatives to Audioquest Dragonfly Black
Audioquest Dragonfly Black might not be good enough for demanding audiophiles. If you consider yourself one of them, you should opt for an advanced version of this headphone amp. We’re talking about Audioquest Dragonfly Red, which has almost two times greater output than this one. Unfortunately, its price is also about two times higher.
Audioquest Dragonfly Black – Is It Worth Getting It?
This wouldn’t be a good Audioquest Dragonfly Black review if we didn’t give our opinion on whether you should buy it or not. It’s really hard to say, really, as this headphone amplifier simply doesn’t have good enough specs to put a smile on a face of a true audiophile.
On the other hand, average users should have no complaints. It’s gonna do a fine job enhancing the sound coming from your smartphone. Plus, it’s gonna look nice and be very easy to carry around with you. Therefore, we must give it a good grade!